Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I wish I'd worn my Muckmasters!


Today, I went down to the river to see how the banks have fared over the winter. We have had a few good storms, and the river has gone over flood stage twice since fall. I also wanted to check on the canoe. I had a bicycle combination lock securing the canoe to a tree and forgot the combination. Last week I called my son, since he has always had a keen ability to remember these types of things. He told me where the bolt cutters where in the shed. So, after retrieving the bolt cutters I headed out. It was a sunny day here, about 60 degrees, and quite nice!

When I got to the head of the path that led to the canoe, I decided to drop the bolt cutters and continue down the trail that runs parallel to the river so I could view the far bank and see how much work it's going to be before I can do any paddling this year. The path itself was riddled with broken branches and windfall from the winter's storms. In years past we have just tossed them off to the side, but this year they look a bit larger in size. I might have to bring the chainsaw down. Since the leaves have yet to begin to sprout, my line of sight was clear through the thicket and I saw several trees that had fallen from the far bank and across the river. Further on down I saw a very large oak that also had fallen from the far bank. I'd bet it was 30 inches at the base and not an easy one to move.

Enjoying the bushwhacking, I continued to the path's end and cut through the brush to the river. The beaver dam that had been there last fall was gone, washed away with one of the winter's storms. This explained why the water looked to be lower. I decided to head back, following along the river to the canoe. The ground was a sloppy mess. It was slow going just to keep my balance. I went further along the river and saw where it had taken a large tree from the bank that we used to fish alongside of. Water is a powerful force. There was not a sign of that tree ever being there.

Carefully stepping on branches and rocks, I kept along the river and found animal tracks in the mud. It was clear a coyote had just come through, and there were fresh deer tracks, as well. I had been hoping to find bear tracks but didn't come up on any. It still may be a little early for the bears.

It wasn't until I turned to go back to the trail through the thicket that I realized  this would have been the day to break in my Muckmaster boots. I was only three steps into the briars between the river and the trail and found that my work boots were sinking down into the muck up to my ankles.  I took aim at a fallen branch to step on with my next move, but as I did my boot lace caught on a briar and the step fell short, landing in the muck as well. The step was, however, a success in untying my boot. With both feet now planted firmly in the muck, a loose boot lace wrapped in a briar, and my socks acting like sponges drawing water towards my toes,  I thought about how my Muckmaster boots didn't have any laces and came up over my calves. Fortunately, there was a tree both close and large enough for me to keep my balance on while I pulled my boots free from the muck and untangled my bootlace from the briar. At least I had remembered to wear my leather gloves, otherwise there would have been blood, as well. I was able to get free and back to the trail without any further adventure.

After finding the bolt-cutters right where I left them, I went down the path to where the canoe was left last fall chained to a tree. As good fortune would have it, the tree with the canoe was still there. The cutters worked fine, and I quickly had the canoe free and was turning it over to drain the water that it had been collecting throughout the winter. Not that it really mattered since my socks were wet anyway, but I did try not to pour the canoe water out on my boots.  Here again I realized that, had I worn my Muckmaster boots, my feet would have been dry even if I had.

I pulled the canoe up the bank and dragged it to the cabin for a good inspection and cleaning which I scheduled for sometime in the next week or so. I didn't want to work too hard, and besides, I needed to dry my feet.

I wish I'd worn my Muckmasters!

http://www.muckbootsandshoes.com/?gclid=CMT1mJnz9bUCFRGqnQodCTsADw

No comments:

Post a Comment